What is an ACRONYM?
Linking topics using acronyms.
An acronym is an abbreviation that is typically made up of the first letter or letters of a phrase. An acronym of 3 or more letters will be automatically linked if (and only if) a topic of that name already exists in the current web.
Just like WikiWord linking, acronym linking is easy to use:
- You don't have to know the full path to where the topic is stored - you just type the name
- You don't need to write HTML
- Without HTML, the topic text is easier to read when editing
- Easy linking leads to interesting texts with links placed in context
Examples of Acronyms
- HTML5 - A digit breaks the acronym link.
- FAQs - The lower case letter breaks the link.
Variations in linking
When you write an acronym and the acronym topic already exists, it becomes a link. There are more ways
- To force a link to to an acronym, use bracket notation:
[[HTML5]] - this becomes: HTML5 and will display the broken link indicator (red dotted underline) if the topic does not exist.
- To link to an acronym in another web, write:
Sandbox.HTML - this becomes: Sandbox.HTML
- To link to an acronym on a site like the Acronym Finder, use:
Acronym:HTTP - this becomes: Acronym:HTTP (sites are defined in the InterwikiPlugin)
- To stop an Acronym from being turned into a hyperlink, insert an exclamation point immediately before the Acronym. For example, write
!HTML to get HTML.
- Unlike WikiWords, plural Acronyms are not automatically linked to the singular topic.
FAQ will be linked, but
FAQIndex will not. Turn acronyms into WikiWords, i.e. Change
FaqIndex for a "FAQ index" topic.
- It is possible to turn off the auto-linking and to rely only on the bracket notation using the NOAUTOLINK preference setting.
- You can set NOAUTOLINK in your personal topic, or directly in any topic to change linking behavior for you or an individual topic.
Related Topics: TopicMarkupLanguage
Copyright © by the contributing authors. All material on this site is the property of the contributing authors.
Ideas, requests, problems regarding sysadmin.wiki? Send feedback